Friday, August 12, 2011

Risk It



 This video was sent to me through email from Focus on the Family.  It is entitled "Do Something Risky With Your Life" by John Piper.  I recommend you watch this two minute video.  Listen especially to the ending.  He says, "You've got to have a flavor about your life that is risky and radical.  Different."

This last quote reminded me of a friend of mine.  He recently read the book "Radical".  I talked to him a couple days ago and he said, "I'm thinking radical right now."  Let's all think radical! Imagine what this world would look like if we all woke up from our slumbers in our perfect houses with our perfect lives and actually risked our perfect reputations for God's glory?! Hmm. I don't think you are imagining it.  I bet you just kept on reading after I said that. Well stop reading. Right now. And TRULY imagine.

What did you see?

What are some reasons that you don't take risks?

Some reasons I can think of are:

1. Fear
2. Reputation, wanting to withhold it.
3. We get too comfortable.  A friend once told me, "Life is just too short to get comfortable." Let's live like we believe that.

I would say that those are some of the biggest reasons that we as Christians don't take risks by looking for opportunities to share our faith, go over seas for missions, doing ministry in our own communities, inviting friends to church, sticking up for the kid being picked on... There are endless possibilities and opportunities where we can make a difference in someone's life.  Risk it! I mean, what have you got to lose? You've got the God of the Universe on your side, man! What else do you need?

I'm as guilty as anyone for being too comfortable.  Using "shyness" as an excuse for not talking to someone who needs it...  For example. You know when there are some days that you have to wake up early for work, school, or whatever reason, and you just lay in your bed because you're "too comfortable" to get up?  I think we get like that in our lives as well. 

 Acts 15:25-27 says this:
25 So we all agreed to choose some men and send them to you with our dear friends Barnabas and Paul— 26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

They risked their lives people! Their LIVES!  That is a scary thought to think about.  These men were out dedicating their lives to Christ, sharing the gospel to everyone they met. Even put in prison! And here we are living the American Dream...Yikes.

I love these verses from 2 Corinthians 4.
7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.

Isn't that so comforting? I find it so.  I will end with one last verse that I'm sure many of you know.
Psalms 23:4


4 Even though I walk
   through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
   for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
   they comfort me.


So don't be afraid to take risks.  God will be with you. And it will be so incredibly worth it in the end. :)

Think. Radical.



- Mallory

2 comments:

  1. Of all of your posts that I have read, this one is most definitely my favorite! That is my absolute goal for this school year, to not 'get comfortable.' I really want to get out of my comfort zone and make a difference, and it seems that you are feeling the exact same way. And I really like those verses, later tonight I will be underlining them in my Bible ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for preaching at me tonight Mal. It fills my heart with joy to read these things and to know they are coming out of my niece's heart. We love you.

    ReplyDelete