Thursday, December 22, 2011

Death = Life


I wrote this for an English assignment answering the following question. 


Does ones philosophy (system of beliefs) about death affect how they live? 
For many people, their beliefs on death do affect how they live.  Some people who believe in Heaven live their lives hoping and praying that they would be good enough to get there.  Others who don’t believe there is anything after this life, party and “live it up” while they can. As for me, I believe that both Heaven and Hell exist.  
I know I’m going to Heaven when I die. In the Bible it says, “If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Jesus died for me.  He took my place.  It should’ve been me dying on that cross, paying for my own sin.  Now, if Jesus just died and never rose again, He wouldn’t have conquered death.  But He did.  And that is why it is possible for people like you and me to be saved.  He was the perfect sacrifice, the Lamb of God. I believe this with all my heart.
Believing in this makes me want to be the best person I can be for Jesus.  I want the whole world to know of Him and how we can live in Heaven with the God of the Universe, Who loves us more than we can fathom.  
Paul is a great example of his belief on death affecting how he lived.  In Philippians 1 verses 23-26 he says, “I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me.”
In those verses Paul says he would rather be with Jesus in Heaven, for that place is better, but he is wants to stay on Earth to spread the Gospel for the body of Christ.  He knew he was going to Heaven, and he definitely lived it out.  He didn’t misuse his time.  He knew how crucial it was for Him to preach the Word of God to those who didn’t know of it.  
I don’t want to waste my life.  I desire to live my life according to God’s Word to the best of my ability.  Of course, that’s impossible without God.  I want to make the most of every opportunity given, and to keep my eyes and heart open to anyone in need.  I want to show people the love of God.  I wish for His love to be seen in how I act with others, pouring out of my soul.  
I think that if you believe in God, you should either be a full out follower of Him, or  not believe at all.  God says this in Revelation chapter three.  “I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. If I’m lukewarm, God is going to spit me out of His mouth.  Just thinking about this is very convicting, for I know I’m not where I need to be in my relationship with Him.  
Where you’re going to end up when you die should affect your total aspect on life.  Knowing that I’m going to Heaven gives me solitude, knowing that if I mess up or make a big mistake, God will still love and accept me.  I don’t have to say, “Oh darn, I messed up big.  I guess I’m not good enough for Heaven now,” like some people believe.  Although, I don’t think that my beliefs affect how I live enough.  I believe that both Heaven and Hell exist, but do I live it?  I need to get it through my head that our job on this Earth is to bring glory to God and to follow His commands and spread His name across the nations, not to bring glory to myself.  My goal is to live by these words in Galatians 2:20.  “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.  The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”  

So, the death of Jesus equals life for us, if you accept the gift.

Does death = life for you?

- Mallory

No comments:

Post a Comment