Friday, September 24, 2010

Job 15: Eliphaz' Second Speech

I was going to post this last night, but my internet wouldn't cooperate.

So I read Job 15 yesterday. Job finally ended his extremely long speech and Eliphaz is talking now.

These are the verses that stood out to me the most to me.

Job 15: 1-6

Then Eliphaz the Temanite replied:

"Would a wise man answer with empty notions
or fill his belly with the hot east wind?

Would he argue with useless words,
with speeches that have no value?

But you even undermine piety
and hinder devotion to God.

Your sin prompts your mouth;
you adopt the tongue of the crafty.

Your own mouth condemns you, not mine;
your own lips testify against you.


Words. They can be so helpful, but can hurt so much. You know the saying sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me? Well, that is full of balogna. These few verses kind of reminded me of gossip. Especially when Eliphaz says "your own mouth condemns you" and "you adopt the tongue of the crafty". That is what happens when we gossip. Have you ever been talking about someone, and they just happen to be standing right behind you? Well, that has happened to me before numerous times. I know that it was a sign from God telling me to watch what I say.


Now, I don't know exactly what Eliphaz meant when he said these words, but they reminded me of gossiping, and that got me going.

Here are some verses about gossiping:

Proverbs 11:13
A
gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy man keeps a secret.

Proverbs 16:28
A perverse man stirs up dissension, and a
gossip separates close friends.

Proverbs 18:8
The words of a
gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts.


Well, I got to go.

See ya!

Mallory

No comments:

Post a Comment