Friday, January 28, 2011

Chain Reaction

I wrote this little poem thing tonight.  I got the inspiration from being at a basketball game the other night.  Every few words I heard were swear words.  I was so sick of it... I'm sick of just standing there, pretending I don't hear them, too scared to stand up to the upper classmen.  I'm so sick of it....  And then those dirty jokes.... don't even get me started on that.  I'm not saying that I don't laugh at them, because I often do, but I'm ready to do something about it.  I don't know what yet, but I'm praying.  So I wrote this poem to kind of express my thoughts.  I hope it makes you think :D.


Chain Reaction


Why do you use those foul words?  Who else do you need to impress?  
Do they make you look "cool"?  Do you need them to "fit in"?  
What type of people are you trying to attract?  
Or is it just habit, to swear at someone and make them feel degraded?  
These words... do you even know what they mean?  
It what way are they making your life better?  Can't you see? Don't you realize? 
You already are special in my eyes.  There is no need to impress.  No need to act like someone else.  
Just be who you are, and I'll love you the same.


Those dirty jokes that "everyone" laughs at.  
What makes them so funny?
What would happen if you decided not to laugh at the class "nerd" for once?
Would people stare? Or maybe laugh at you?
Well maybe, possibly.  
Or would your rebellion stir a thought in their brain?
Maybe they would agree with you.
"Those jokes really aren't funny at all," is what they would think
And then suddenly the rebellion of 1, is a rebellion of 2


And then
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10 people are standing be your side!!


All that, just because you didn't laugh at a joke.
What if you suddenly stopped using those swear words?
Could it work the same?
Would people's eyes finally come out of the fog of lies that say, 
"These words will make you more popular, cooler, more "fly", you'll have more "fun" if you say them...."


So there you go again.  
Those foul words stop coming out of your lips.
They are no longer in your mind.


And then suddenly the rebellion of 10, is a rebellion of 11


And then
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20 people are at your side!!


Do you think the same rebellion would work with the World?
Lets say those 20 people each go into the world.
They rebel; go against the norm.
They do their best to live their lives for God, and for God alone.
They are so on fire for God, that you know just by looking at them that they love Jesus.
And let's say people start noticing they're different, and they want to be apart of this "difference" that they have


And suddenly the rebellion of 20, becomes a rebellion of 30


And then 
40
50
60
70
80
90
100 people are by their sides


I call this the "Chain Reaction"


All it takes is one. One person to give a smile, a hug, a word of encouragement.  One person to not laugh at the "unpopular kid".  One person to stop swearing.


All it takes is one person to go against the norm, and then others will follow.
This is the Chain Reaction.


All it takes is one.


Will you be that one?






- Mallory

2 comments:

  1. This is really cool mallory, it really really is. I am sick of all the swearing and perverted stuff going on too. Sadly, (as we've discussed before) the perverted stuff is spreading to me too. I'm tired of only being able to try and ignore all the swearing, and maybe going to a different area if they don't stop. So I hope to be apart of the chain reaction. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this is awesome. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I've talked to a few of my 'friends'...
    Some of these 'friends' are the ones that laughed at me when i told them about God. Some of these people are ones that claim to be active Christians, but they don't bring it into their lives, and act like it's a joke when you suggest it. It makes me wonder... Do I keep trying to help these people? Do I just leave them, since they obviously aren't listening to me and don't care? Do I stop hanging out with them, even though I have all these years, and I don't know who else I'd hang out with?
    A week or two ago a friend and I decided we'd try to help eachother out with this and became accountability partners. It really helps. :)

    ReplyDelete